Post-20.109 reflections

 by Tiwa Aina

15 hours a week? Total lie. 

I'm not sure I've spent so much time on any class in my entire academic career. But, as I reflect on this, I also realize that I haven't ever had a learning experience so holistic and yet so robust. 20.109 is what I think engineering should look like: deep theory, deep praxis, and special care made to ensure I can communicate the initiatives I pursue as a scientist. (It's especially amazing that this could effectively occur while remote.)

Something that I've noticed is the power of frequent exposure. Before 20.109, I would occasionally pull up a paper to learn about something, and every time I would be overwhelmed with the content. But after having gone through so many papers (closely enough to be able to give presentations on them and answer curveball questions afterwards), I find it so much easier to digest and understand biological research. 

I loved the opportunity to apply the knowledge, approaches, and experimental principles to an initiative of our choice; it was a really appropriate and rewarding culminating assignment for the final module. Something that surprised me when I came to MIT was that people doing UROPs (or even graduate research) aren't necessarily working on the ideas they have to solve problems. (In fact, this is something that makes me unsure about pursuing research in BE postgrad.) So to be able to go through this ideation process for something we're passionate about was very valuable to me; when else would I be able to present a framework and strategy for combatting hypersensitivity and get continued feedback from scientists about experimental strategies, possible challenges, etc. associated with the pursuit?

Now, don't be mistaken; I still don't like giving presentations and I never managed to figure out how to eliminate the nervous vibrato I get even when I know when I'm talking about. I've also heard enough gel horror stories to be wary of doing anything wet lab related. Nevertheless, I've come out of 20.109 with a newfound interest for the biological sciences, even when it's divorced from computation. I hope I get opportunities to use my 20.109 skills/knowledge/experiences in the future!

Thank you 20.109 staff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When do you stop rewriting?

Writing in Science, for Science, by Science: Takeaways

Abstracting an Abstract