Elegant, but effective scientific communication

 The hardest part of scientific writing for me is balancing concise phrasing with descriptive explanations. This module helped me realize how defining a research problem well can make it much easier to separate meaningful facts and analyses from less significant ones. 


During the module, I learned how to create a logical flow toward a hypothesis and experimental design from background information. I was able to consider the numerous factors involved in DNA damage while ultimately forming a cohesive narrative that can be shared with other scientists. Initially, it was challenging to select the most meaningful background research to explain the purpose of our experiments. It was also difficult to select the most meaninful data analyses and conclusions, but referring back to the gaps identified in our background and motivations section was crucial. Although each research project differs in its content, I have recognized the value of identifying existing research gaps that motivate an experiment, as this defines the remaining components of an effective report or presentation. As I move on to other modules of this class, I plan on using this structural guide. 


In essence, as a fan of creative writing, I have to remind myself before beginning scientific writing that my primary goal is to use clear and direct language. While science certainly has its elegance and beauty, its written communication has a particular structure. During Module 1, I was able to develop my skills in this genre. I learned how to effectively summarize experimental procedures and processes such as the BER pathway. This translated well into the Data Summary, which has been a great learning experience! 


-Imane Bouzit 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When do you stop rewriting?

Abstracting an Abstract

The Art of Science - Module 1