Not All Writing is Created Equal

When I think of what it means to write, I envision a kind of artful and expressive manner of communication - the kind of communication that acts as a screenshot of the writer's mind at the time of writing. This kind of writing normally flows really well, isn't devoid of emotion, and may or may not be opinionated. And even if it isn't opinionated, there is usually a distinct hint of personality weaved into the writing. This is the case for the majority of writing that I have done up to this point in my life. 

So for me the main issue then was coming out of that frame and resisting the urge to write "creatively", which for me, consists in large part, of saying more than needed. I tend to be verbose in my writing, and my writing also tends to be a lot more free-flowing than what is expected in scientific communication. I use anecdotes, similes, and analogies to connect disparate ideas. The majority of the difficulty I faced was in maintaining the discipline to say only what is necessary and relevant,  ensuring that my work was not only concise, but also accurate.

Additionally, I tend to add in filler language in an attempt to improve the flow of my writing, which probably works fine for creative writing. But for scientific writing, chances are that if you are adding filler language, you are either adding a claim that is irrelevant to the central point, a claim that seems true, but due to the language used isn't quite correct, or a correct claim that you have failed to provide evidence for. So, throughout the course of my scientific communication career, I have started to try to be very deliberate about what I say for fear of introducing unsubstantiated claims, or of straying from the point.

There was also the slight issue of having to combine all the constituent parts of the data summary into one cohesive project. I understand and appreciate the fact that we do the data summary in bits and pieces in order to get feedback, and also to ensure that we don't have a monstrous task when it comes time to actually submit the data summary, but for me it was very hard to recombine all those parts and then "ligate" them into one functioning "strand".

I like to see the big picture and then work on the project from there, which was my intent with the data summary, but due to the nature of the deadlines for submissions, it is almost like I'm compiling work from multiple different authors. This is, in some way, due to the fact that my scientific writing is not as precise, concise, and standardized (or constant, I guess) as it should be. It is affected by my mental state, how tired I am, the time of day, or even the day of the week in the same way that my creative writing may be. That is something I need to work on improving.


- Clinton Reid


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abstracting an Abstract

The Art of Science - Module 1

When do you stop rewriting?